Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Same Kind of Different as Me

While Tim was teaching Vacation Bible School last Friday night, I served dinner with some of our Sunday school class at the Arlington Life Shelter. It was a great time to fellowship with one another but also serve. Our class had the opportunity to serve at the shelter one previous time during our church wide service day (Super Servant Sunday). Instead of having a church service, they encouraged all Sunday school classes and Life Groups to go out and serve the community during that hour. If you ever have the opportunity to serve at a local shelter, I would encourage you to do so. Here is a photo from my latest trip:
(Left to Right): Jill Scheuermann, Adam Mosser, Helena Mosser, Ben Scheuermann, me, Dan Reeves, Jennifer Reeves

In relation to this topic, I have a book recommendation. If you ever have the opportunity, you should read Same Kind of Different as Me. It is a beautiful, true story about two individuals from different walks of life that meet at the Union Gospel Mission (a local shelter in Fort Worth). I enjoyed it so much that I started and completed the book in one day. I especially enjoyed it because of the many Fort Worth landmarks that are referenced. Happy reading!

No comments: